December 3, 2010

ummm.... Procrastination



We have been carrying out a lot research to help understand what types of barriers we all face when we are trying to grow. I have been looking at these barriers on two levels; business and personal.


Whether we like it or not, they are intertwined and we must be able to work on all these areas so that we can be the best person we want to be.

The first stop on my research adventure was Procrastination. For me, I found it both interesting and confronting at the same time....


The definition of Procrastination:


Procrastination refers to the deferment of actions or tasks to a later time

"For an individual, procrastination may result in stress, a sense of guilt, the loss of personal productivity, the creation of crisis and disapproval from others for not fulfilling one's responsibilities or commitments"

I thrive when I have a million things do to and am under the pump - I find then that I move quickly from one task to another just like clicking my fingers... if however, I have a fairly relaxed schedule, then I tend to put things off and 'dawdle' around the things I have to do!

For me, I know that when I have that slower pace, I tend to start to question the things that I do and why I do them and how I do them and should I do them and so it goes on and on....


"Most people who procrastinate will spend a lot of time and energy berating themselves for procrastinating" yep that's one for me!!


How about you? Do you find that you beat yourself up because you procrastinate? Do you think that you lazy when you procrastinate?


On conducting further research, I found that the core feeling associated with procrastination was a feeling of "unworthiness" and we "use procrastination as a way to keep us from getting to where we say we want to go"


Feelings of unworthiness are pretty heavy and bring all kinds of different feelings on top of those you are already thinking about. I am still working through some of these so that I can better understand why I do some of the things that I do.


Particularly in terms of valuing my worth as a business person..... and I guess if we are all honest, well then I think we all question ourselves about being worthy of our success at various times in our lives. It's then what we choose to do with this information that allows us to move forward....


Some questions to ask yourself and have a think about:

  • Do you know what effect Procrastination has on you and your business success?
  • Is procrastination a barrier that you face?
  • How do you handle your procrastination?
  • Are you even aware that it could be holding you back?
Love to hear your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment